One way to take your health/nutrition to the next level is to add in a few supplements to fill in the gaps that we can not always achieve through food. The best way to know which supplements you should be taking is to get blood work and consult with your doctor, but here are some of my supplement recommendations!
The supps that most people should be taking!
– Look for “Multi-Strain, 20-30 billion CFU” on the label (Garden of Life is great)
– Gut health is super important and if you didn’t know, 90% of serotonin (the neurotransmitter responsible for mood regulation) is produced in your gut!
Fish Oil, 6000-8000mg
– This will help with inflammation and recovery (SFH is great)
Vitamin D 5,000 IU
Vitamin B12 5,000mg
– Most people are deficient in Vitamin D and B 12 and it can really affect how you feel/energy levels (Jarrow brand is great)
The supps that Crossfitters should be taking!
BCAAs (branched chain amino acids)
– Helps to promote muscle growth and aid in muscle soreness (I love Scivation Extend Free)
– You can drink these while working out!
Whey or Collagen Protein
– For more info on this, peep my post on pre and post workout nutrition!
– Feel free to do up to 2 protein shakes a day. Make sure yours is free of sucralose and other artificial ingredients (I love Stronger Faster Healthier and Vital Protein brands)
– If you do not like to cook with turmeric, consider adding a turmeric pill into your daily routine to help with inflammation!
Supplements for Liver Detox!
N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) 600mg
– It is an antioxidant that occurs naturally in the body.
– It helps your body boost production of glutathione, a very powerful antioxidant and detoxifier. NAC also reduces inflammation and promotes the detoxification of environmental toxins. It also reduces anxiety! (I love Pure Encapsulations brand)
Milk Thistle 150mg
– It enhances the liver’s ability to remove excess estrogen from the liver and improves liver function (Jarrow brand!)
The body eliminates toxins through your liver – it’s like your own personal garbage processing and disposal plant.
Your liver plays a massive role in helping your body rid itself of excess or harmful hormone metabolites so it’s crucial that you make sure it’s functioning at its best. The liver is the major detoxifying organ and also plays a role with metabolism, hormone production, energy storage, and digestion.
It’s important to detox the liver every 3-4 months to make sure that everything is running smoothly!
Supplements for Sleep!
– For a zinc deficiency, try pumpkin seeds, red meat and shellfish.
– You can also supplement with zinc and I recommend Designs for Health Zinc.
Magnesium 300 mg
– Include lots of dark leafy greens, avocados, nuts and seeds in your diet.
– I’ve also found supplementing with 300mg a day of magnesium glycinate can be very helpful too. I also LOVE Natural Calm magnesium in the evening – it helps you wind down and sleep well. Take either the glycinate or the Natural Calm for your magnesium needs.
– For selenium, try Brazil nuts (they have a very high amount of selenium)
– CBD oil has definitely been a buzz word in the nutrition/fitness world lately, but it is definitely worth the hype
Taken right before bed, it gives you a calming effect without the high that comes from THC (I love Equilibrium Nutrition brand!)
Sleep is quite possibly as important as nutrition in terms of creating a healthy lifestyle! I make sure that my clients get 7+ hours a night or else they can’t train the next day 😉
If you are someone who has trouble sleeping, consider adding in the following supps to assist and make sure that the body is recovering in the best possible way!
I purchase almost all of my supplements on vitacost.com!